The First Thing to Do if Your Dog Eats Chocolate - Rescue Dogs 101

The First Thing to Do if Your Dog Eats Chocolate

My Dog Ate Chocolate, What Should I Do?

We all know chocolate can be toxic to dogs. But the question is, how much chocolate will make a dog sick? Or what even are the symptoms to watch for if your dog ate chocolate?

I’m guessing many dog owners have experienced their dog eating chocolate at least once in their lifetime. I know we have. It was more than 10 years ago when our dog ate two small boxes of Valentine chocolates. I honestly don’t remember which dog it was, I’m guessing it was Nala since she was the counter surfer. But we came home after dinner one night and my kids went to get the chocolate treats that Grandpa sent them for Valentine’s Day. You guessed it, all we found were two empty boxes on the floor!

The First Thing to Do if Your Dog Eats Chocolate

Talk about panic, we’ve already been away for a couple of hours… so we could have come home to a very sick dog. But thank God, she never did get sick. I learned from that experience, never leave chocolate on the counter!

It turns out that although chocolate is toxic to our dogs, the type, amount and the size of your dog, make all the difference in the world. If you have a small 10 lb. dog, the smallest amount could make him very sick. But with our 90 lb. lab, Bear, he could get away with eating a good amount before showing any symptoms from eating chocolate.

PetMD has an awesome dog chocolate calculator. If your dog has eaten chocolate, I highly suggest checking this out… the Chocolate Toxicity Meter for Dogs

What Types of Chocolate Are Toxic to My Dog?

Well, the simple answer is, all chocolate is toxic. But the type and amount vary.

Milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, and white chocolate have the lowest amount of methylxanthines, the chemical in chocolate that makes our dogs sick.

While dark chocolate, cocoa powder, and bakers chocolate have much higher amounts of methylxanthines, making them much more toxic.

Our dog ate milk chocolate, and she was about 80 lbs., which is why she never got sick.

My Dogs Health Records

Easily keep track of vaccinations, illness, reactions, dates and more with our FREE

My Dog's Health Record 
Interactive PDF!

envelope
envelope
angle-double-right

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to receive personalized, must-have tips on adopting, loving and training your dog PLUS get instant access to this free PDF. 

If you're worried you already get too many emails... I keep my emails fun , short and sweet. Plus, you have the option to opt-out at any time. We take your privacy seriously. ​Read our Privacy Policy here.

What Symptoms Should I Watch for If My Dog Ate Chocolate?

If you are wondering what to do if your dog does eat chocolate, you may want to call your emergency vet right away. A phone call is free and it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Now with that said, if your dog is 60+ lbs. and ate one small piece of milk chocolate, I personally wouldn’t be too concerned. Just keep a close eye on him. Use the PetMD chocolate calculator to get a better idea if you should be rushing to the emergency vet.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning are as follows:

  • Extreme thirst
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased body temperature
  • Increased reflex responses
  • Muscle rigidity
  • Rapid breathing
  • Increased heart rate
  • Low blood pressure
  • Seizures
  • Advanced signs include cardiac failure, weakness, and coma

How Long Does It Take For Chocolate To Affect a Dog?

According to the AKC website, it can take 6 to 12 hours for your dog to show any symptoms of chocolate poisoning, and symptoms can last up to 72 hours. If you know your dog has eaten chocolate, do not wait to see symptoms. It’s best to treat your dog before he shows the signs of feeling sick. Again, you may want to check out the Chocolate Toxicity Meter for Dogs and call your emergency vet right away.

The Dogs and Chocolate Myth

Yes, chocolate is toxic to dogs, but I think there is a myth out there that even if your dog eats a tiny piece, he may die. Again, it all relates to the size of the dog, the type of chocolate and the amount of chocolate. So don’t panic if your dog snatches up a piece of chocolate chip cookie you dropped on the floor unless of course, you have a tiny dog!

So when you receive a box of chocolate this Valentines Day, or your kids bring home a bag of candy on Halloween, make sure to eat it and put it away where your pooch can’t possibly reach it.

P.S. I love to hear your stories, has your dog ever eaten a box of chocolate before? Did he get sick? Comment below and share with our Rescue Dogs 101 Community.

P.S.S. If you haven’t downloaded our FREE Dog Health Record printable yet do it NOW!

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU:


About the Author Debi@RescueDogs101

Debi McKee is a dog mom, volunteer foster dog home, and lifetime dog lover. Debi’s mission is to guide you through every step of your dog journey, from adopting the perfect dog for you and your family, to training your dog and keeping your dog happy and healthy. Sign up for our free resource library of must-have resources, containing valuable downloads to help you in your dog journey.

Leave a Comment:

Add Your Reply

A wagging tail always means a dog is happy and friendly.​

True or False?