Dog training goes far beyond teaching him to sit and stay. That’s why I put together this list of the very best dog training books for your unique dog and situation.
When you adopted your dog, did you think training him was going to be as simple as taking a dog training class at your local pet shop? Only to find out owning and training a dog goes far beyond what a basic obedience training class can teach you in 6 weeks?
Or maybe you are here to learn as much as possible about dog training before getting a dog… if that’s the case, a huge round of applause for you!
Or maybe you have been surprised by some troublesome behaviors with your rescue dog and you are searching for help.
Dog training books
You are in the right place. I’ve researched and read so many different dog training books, and I know which ones are all fluff and which ones get recommended over and over for good reason.
There is no one size fits all when it comes to dog training. I recommend different dog training books depending on your particular situation.
And then there are a handful of books I recommend every dog owner reads…. even if your dog is a perfect angel.
Basic dog training books for everyone
Every dog is unique, but knowing the foundation of dog training will help you understand different behaviors you may encounter in the future. These are my top four basic dog training picks:
- Lucky Dog Lessons: Train Your Dog in 7 Days
- Dog Training For Dummies
- How to Be Your Dog’s Best Friend: The Classic Training Manual for Dog Owners
- Zak George’s Dog Training Revolution: The Complete Guide to Raising the Perfect Pet with Love
- Family Friendly Dog Training: A Six Week Program for You and Your Dog
- The Other End of The Leash
Must-read books on dogs behavior
Canine body language books
It is imperative to learn your dog’s body language and these books will help you learn all the small details you’ve been missing.
- Dog Body Language 101 e-book (by Rescue Dogs 101)
- On Talking Terms With Dogs Calming Signals
- Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
- The Secret Language of Dogs: Unlocking the Canine Mind for a Happier Pet
- Dog Language: An Encyclopedia of Canine Behavior
Canine enrichment books
- Canine Enrichment: The Book Your Dog Needs You To Read
- 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog
Dog aggression & resource guarding books
- Mine! A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs
- Fight! A Practical Guide to the Treatment of Dog-dog Aggression
- Feisty Fido: Help for the Leash-Reactive Dog
Separation anxiety & fearful dog books
- The Cautious Canine-How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears
- I’ll be Home Soon: How to Prevent and Treat Separation Anxiety
- Beyond Flight or Fight: A Compassionate Guide for Working with Fearful Dogs
- The Education of Will: A Mutual Memoir of a Woman and Her Dog
Best puppy training books
Puppies are adorable, cute and cuddly. But boy, they are a lot of work. Training begins from the moment you bring that puppy home. Learn as much as you can before, during and after taking a local training class.
- The Puppy Primer
- Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
- The Art of Raising a Puppy
- Perfect Puppy in 7 Days: How to Start Your Puppy Off Right
Fun dog training books for kids
Getting your children involved with training the family dog is a great way to teach life lessons, compassion, and responsibility. These dog training books are geared toward making it fun for kids and dogs alike.
- How to Speak Dog: A Guide to Decoding Dog Language
- Dog Training for Kids: Fun and Easy Ways to Care for Your Furry Friend
- Puppy Training for Kids: Teaching Children the Responsibilities and Joys of Puppy Care, Training, and Companionship
- 101 Dog Tricks, Kids Edition: Fun and Easy Activities, Games, and Crafts
- How to Care for Your Dog: A Color & Learn Guide for Kids
MONEY SAVING TIP: Your local library may have many of these dog training books!
Online dog training programs
Welcome to the world of everything digital. I have taken a few online dog training courses over the last few years. Some better than others, but each one has taught me something new. So if you prefer to learn online than inside a book, these are for you…
There you have it… all of my favorite dog training books in one place. Please comment below with your favorite go-to dog training book that you recommend.